Friday, October 16, 2015

Nintendo Amiibo Hunting update #1!



The following article is written and produced by....


Amiibo Hunting Update

    Well, it was only a matter of time until I got struck by Amiibo fever and it happened on Tuesday afternoon of this week. Over the past two weeks I've been watching YouTube videos of people seeking out Amiibo figures and having a blast as they found the ones they wanted and it reminded me of when I was a Star Wars action figure collector and I'd raid a dozen or so stores over the course of a day trying to find the figures I didn't have yet. One video had a kid waiting in line at a Wal-Mart for 12 hours just to get one Amiibo that was being released and another video had a guy spending all day inside of a TRU waiting for them to get a shipment. This isn't something I've not done in ages and I thought to myself that the people in these videos were enjoying the "thrill of the hunt", which is a natural high I'd get back when I'd find a rare Star Wars figure I'd been hunting. Man, those were the days. I loved gassing up the car and hitting up multiple stores on a hunt and finding the characters I needed, sometimes I'd do this with my friend Ken and it was a blast. I've already started a small collection of "World of Nintendo" figures somewhat recently and I suppose that moving onto Amiibo would be the next step, but at $12.99-$13-99 per figure that would be extremely expensive and I figured I'd wait until Christmas before taking the leap. But anyone who knows me knows that I'll spend whatever it takes to complete a collection, no matter what it is I'm trying to find. So, I was at Wal-Mart browsing the Wii U games with my wife and as we were about to make a purchase I decided to check out the Amiibo section, but it was pretty well picked over with just the same Mario and Luigi I've always seen at stores as I browse. As we hit the car I decided to drive over at Gamestop since it was in the same plaza and I came across the 30th Anniversary Mario Amiibo, as well as Pac-Man and Yoshi so I decided to bite the bullet and pick them up, thus officially becoming an Amiibo collector. We also got the Amiibo Super Mario Brothers end level star and flag setup to display them on. What a trip!


    So, this morning (3 days later) I decided that I would take a trip to Gamestop and try to get my hands on the blue yarn Yoshi Amiibo that launched alongside the game today and while I was there I decided to pick up the Bowser from the Super Mario series since he was so cool looking. I walked a few stores down to Toys R' Us since I know they've been stocking up on Amiibo's and I've always liked their large dedicated selection and while I was there I found Little Mac, Zero Suit Samus, and Fox from Star Fox so naturally I scooped them up for my very own. They had some other harder to come by Amiibo's at TRU such as Gannondorf, Shulk, Lucario, and one of the other Pokemon characters but I left them behind since my funds were running low, though I will pick up the Gannondorf next week if they still have them (they had 5). They also had a few others I wanted such as Fire Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Sonic, but they're all common enough and I see them everywhere I go so I'll grab them as I come across them at a later date. So yeah, that's pretty much it for this Amiibo collecting update, more will come as I continue to pick these little wonders of joy up or get them for Christmas. I was so torn about opening my Amiibo's up as the collector in me wanted to keep them in their packaging, but they just look so damn cool on the display set I bought that I had to open them up. I'm keeping my World of Nintendo figures sealed in their packaging though because they look so damn good that way, but since I'm not collecting for value and I'm collecting for fun I suppose opening the figures up and displaying them isn't a bad decision after all. Happy hunting Amiibo fans!

"Keep creating" ~ Retro-X

Follow the author on Twitter @RealRetroX
This article is © & ™ 2015 by RTX Productions LLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment